We put the Focus Izalco through its paces
The biggest surprise was how friendly and easy to ride the Focus was. The slammed bar height needs a limber rider and the excellent Fizik saddle needs tipping nose down so not to anaesthetise your nethers. However if your lungs still work with your knees knocking your nipples, the position and handling are superbly balanced and the brakes are powerful and predictable.
Deep section wheels and the big multi piece stem/prow make the whole bike weighty at just under 9kg. Power delivery is direct from rotor crank to rear wheel and the flawless shifting of the Di2 can be accessed from base bars and aero extensions. It’s rapid up to speed and the geometric aerodynamics split the wind with clean efficiency, whether you’re spinning a blur or squeezing out a big ratio.
The weight negating power delivery and easy multi position shifting works effectively uphill, too. The balanced handling means you can sit down and stand up to spin or surge gears without thinking. A helpful spread of ratios and the chainstay flush V brakes are powerful for confident descending.
A lump in the course won’t make you curse, which is rare for such an aggressive bike.
The glove-like fit, stress free handling and easy speed of the frame is enhanced by the smooth supple Schwalbe Ironman tyres.
The frame holds rhythm over pock-marked back roads without stuttering or choking. The stable handling makes reaching for fuel, coping with crosswinds or just staying tucked easy too. A comfortable and seriously fast aero superbike at an affordable price.
- Price £3,399
- Contact focus-bikes.com
- Weight 8.93kg
- Size tested M
- Sizes available S, M , L, XL
- Frame Izalco Chrono Max P2T carbon
- Fork Chrono Max P2T carbon
- Seating Fizik Arione Tri2 saddle on Chrono Max TT carbon
- Handlebar/stem Profile T2 Wing and T4 Aerobar, Chrono Max TT carbon stem
- Gears Shimano Ultegra TT Di2 52-36T x 11-28T
- Brakes Chrono Max TT V brake
- Wheels Fulcrum CPX 1700
- Tyres Schwalbe Ironman 700x25mm
You’ve got the gear, now use it! Find out how to fast forward your descent
Pros: A comfortable and seriously fast aero superbike at an affordable price.
Cons: The slammed bar height needs a limber rider
- Price: £3,399
- Contact: focus-bikes.com
- Weight: 8.93kg
- Size tested: Medium
- Sizes available: S, M , L, XL
- Frame: Izalco Chrono Max P2T carbon
- Fork : Chrono Max P2T carbon
- Seating: Fizik Arione Tri2 saddle on Chrono Max TT carbon
- Handlebar/stem: Profile T2 Wing and T4 Aerobar, Chrono Max TT carbon stem
- Gears: Shimano Ultegra TT Di2 52-36T x 11-28T
- Brakes: Chrono Max TT V brake
- Wheels: Fulcrum CPX 1700
- Tyres: Schwalbe Ironman 700x25mm