Coconut water and oil may have shot to nutritional stardom over the last few years, but if you’re looking for a low calorie protein boost, coconut flour could be just the thing. It contains 22g of protein per 100g of flour and it’s gluten and wheat free.
For more information about coconut flour, check out The Coconut Company.
Check out the Chocolate and Banana Bread recipe:
¾ Almond Flour
¾ cup of Coconut Flour
2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
¾ teaspoons of baking soda
½ teaspoon of salt
3 large eggs
2 very ripe bananas
1 banana for decoration
¼ coconut nectar
1 cup of dairy free/ choc chips or finely shaved dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- Grease a loaf tin generously or line with parchment paper
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl (almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt together)
- Add all the other ingredients (coconut oil, eggs, mashed banana, coconut nectar and chocolate) to the bowl and blend well with a hand held mixer.
- Let the batter sit for a few minutes and mix again.
- Pour mixture into the tin, cut the last banana into slices or in half, length ways and lay on top of the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean
- Leave to cool and slice.
Adapted from the Healthy Coconut Flour Cook Book by Erica Kerwien.